The abbot of the Dhammakaya sect, Phra Dhammachayo—who is said to be seen among the temple’s inner core members to be the reincarnation of the “Creator” who is leading an army of the Sons of Light to fight the Sons of Darkness in a cosmic battle to save humankind—declared that the late co-founder of Apple, Steve Jobs, has been reincarnated as a mid-level angel and is now living in a six-storey building in a heavenly atmosphere.
For details read:
Update 15 Jan 2013
- BBC: ‘One million children’ join Buddhist meditation event (“The temple has attracted controversy in the past, with critics claiming the meditation exercise is simply for show, and others likening its activities to a cult.”)
Update June 2016
- Esoteric Teaching of Wat Phra Dhammakāya by Mano Mettanando Laohavanich
- Thai Police Thwarted in Attempt to Arrest Buddhist Sect Leader – The Wall Street Journal
- DSI executes search warrant at Wat Phra Dhammakaya – Bangkog Post
- Scandal-hit monk Phra Dhammachayo barred from leaving Thailand
Update August 2016
There is also an academic book Nirvana for Sale?: Buddhism, Wealth, and the Dhammakaya Temple in Contemporary Thailand by Rachelle M. Scott, published by State University of New York Press, 2009.
Update September 2016
- When faith enables fraud – Bangkok Post