Is there a need to go again into the bizarre, distorted and hateful propaganda spread worldwide either by the International Shugden Community (ISC) / New Kadampa Tradition (NKT) or the Indian and Singapore based organised pro Shugden campaigners?* Is there any need to address the hundreds of claims made by the organised pro Shugden campaigners on dozens of websites and blogs, press releases, tweeds, Facebook posts etc. they issue around the clock?
I would like to say, “No!” because for any person with some common sense and understanding of the issue it is hard to take the whole campaign seriously in any way or to find any creditability in it. However, the majority of the media worldwide seem to be still too naive or too busy or too uninformed (see Foreign Policy) so that they easily fall pray to the propaganda and human rights rhetoric of the campaigning Shugden groups … What ever the causes for the lack of care of so many journalists and media is, many of them have given the propaganda of the Shugden campaigners and their false or distorted claims a lot of space in their articles. By doing this they have provided a platform for the spread of propaganda and for bullying the Dalai Lama. I would be happy if this stops with the upcoming UK visit of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
For a tiny but clear glimpse into their propaganda universe here a quick overview*:
We had similar bizarre and untrue claims right from the start of the campaign in 2008. See for instance:
- Funny Propaganda 2008/07/22
Joanne Clark unravelled a lot more of those distortions, outright lies and propaganda on her blog. Here a brief overview about this endless stream of misinformation:
- Addressing More Deceptions And Misinformation Spread by The International Shugden Community (ISC) / New Kadampa Tradition (NKT) 2014/10/06
- Protests by the International Shugden Community (ISC) Against the Dalai Lama—Is There Any Truth in Them? 2014/10/01
- In February 2008 900 Buddhist Shugden monks were made homeless by the Dalai Lama? 2014/09/26
But what about the young Tibetan whose finger were cut off? You can buy the mutilated hand online:
But what about the house set on fire? Well, for details see here:
- The Lies of the Shugden Propaganda Machine – by DalaiLamaProtesters.Info
Thanks to Steve Maxwell for his investigation about the mutilated hand!
- Is there no medical treatment for Shugden followers as Anti-Dalai Lama protesters claim? 2014/09/15
- Statement of UK Buddhist Organisations Regarding Protests against His Holiness the Dalai Lama by the International Shugden Community/ New Kadampa Tradition 2014/09/10
- The Dalai Lama UK Visit 2015: Statement By Ex NKT Followers On The Demonstrations Against His Holiness The Dalai Lama 2014/09/10
* It is not clear if those memes were made by Tsem Tulku and his followers (Kechara group) or Kelsang Gyatso and his followers (NKT/ISC). The memes of NKT/ISC are similar ridiculous but more focused on insulting and undermining the Dalai Lama – comparing the Dalai Lama with Hitler, portraying him as a pig etc. Whoever made the memes, NKT/ISC campaigners read such memes, believe in it, share it and use it as ‘evidence’ of discrimination. Such memes become a means to further fuel their fighting power (or aggression) against the Dalai Lama.