Dr Michelle Haslam, clinical psychologist and ex-resident of a New Kadampa Tradition (NKT) centre, has teamed up with several collaborators and supporters to relaunch her report based website www.newkadampatraditionreport.org. The site now also links to resources such as testimonies, YouTube videos and podcasts. Michelle’s analysis of the NKT is broken down into sections with relevant links embedded.
Recovery based resources are currently under development. Michelle states:
As there is no ‘psychological profile’ of ex-cult or ex-NKT members, it is a complex task to write recovery based materials. It’s also very important that ex-members find their own path to recovery, and do not fall into the trap of believing that there is a guaranteed ‘cure’ for healing from complex post-cult PTSD. So we must be cautious with this work. What we can do however, is share our own recovery stories, speak about what helped us personally, and link to other resources that we have found helpful. Family members, friends and mental health professionals may also be better able to support ex-members with this kind of information available to them.
Michelle continues to receive attacks on her livelihood from senior NKT members as a result of this work, the most recent being on October 31st. Details remain confidential whilst under investigation. Michelle’s now back working as a clinical psychologist after three months rest following the NKT’s attacks on her job security and reputation back in June the day after her analysis of the NKT went viral. Her workplaces will remain confidential for the foreseeable future in order to protect her and her colleagues from further harrassment from senior NKT. Michelle says:
I am now including my involvement with NKT recovery based work on my CV, and mentioning the defamation, and I’m still getting job offers. Senior NKT don’t seem to realise how pathological and desperate the attacks appear to outsiders. It does feel like an attack on your reputation and livelihood at first, but in reality it’s not. In the end they only destroy their own reputation and therefore their own livelihoods.
- Recovery from The New Kadampa Tradition – A Resource Centre (Liberation from Indoctrination)
- Affiliated YouTube Channel: Recovery from The New Kadampa Tradition
- Affiliated Twitter Channel: Recovery from the New Kadampa Tradition
- The latest version of Dr Michelle Haslam’s full analysis of the NKT
- Michelle’s testimony: ‘Finding my way out of the empty black hole of spiritual narcissism’ – Michelle Haslam
- A New Kadampa Tradition testimony from New York – Michelle Haslam interviews a therapist from New York
- Former Scientologist Jon Atack and Dr Michelle Haslam on The New Kadampa Tradition
- Inside Kelsang Gyatso’s New Kadampa Tradition – Be Scofield
- Let’s Talk About Sects Podcast: Episode The New Kadampa Tradition
- Escaping the New Kadampa Tradition – Dr Michelle Haslam (TalkBeliefs)
- Episode 211: New Kadampa Tradition – On Belief: A Podcast About Cults by Karen Geier (Interview with Michelle Haslam)
- Dr Michelle Haslam & her psychological report on the controversial New Kadampa Tradition – Imperfect Buddha Podcast
- A Psychological Report on The New Kadampa Tradition June 6, 2019
- The One Pure Dharma: The New Kadampa Tradition is controversial—and growing. Why? By Judith Hertog (Tricycle)
- “Traumatisation by suffering damage within so-called Buddhist groups” – Miriam Anders (LMU)
- Research on abuse in Buddhist communities 2018/10/10
- Silencing and Oblivion of Psychological Trauma, Its Unconscious Aspects, and Their Impact on the Inflation of Vajrayāna. An Analysis of Cross-Group Dynamics and Recent Developments in Buddhist Groups Based on Qualitative Data – Miriam Anders
- Reporting Personal Experience On Religious Movements 2012/05/01